September 1956 ( I think ) I was about 8 years old. My Grandfather seemed especially pleased to use me as a Guinea pig for children's dentistry or that howbI felt after having 4 top front teeth yanked that afternoon. He even tried to convince me that the Parade outside was for me. Upon arriving in the driveway beside the house we were greeted by my beloved Grandma and her molasses cookies. Immediately, my Grandfather couldn't wait to tell us both that I could have NO solid foods for a couple of days. I was crushed, it n eant he'd get most of her cookies and I would eat mush. Sulking became my new facial expression. I was devastated. Then my Grandma told me to go to the hall cl I set and put on my Sunday jacket because I had to look my best while taking my cookies across the street to give to our new neighbors for the week. My Grandfather piped up and said, " We are taking him fishing to Furnace Brook on Saturday!!" I just looked at both of them knowing that I had to do as they said.
Slowly walking across the street without a look in either direction I got to the other side and stepped up on the curb a n d heard, " Excuse me young man but shouldn't you look both ways before crossing a street ? "Um yes I said. Shebthen asked who the nice cookies were for and I told her what Grandma said. I continued looking down at the cookies and she again asked, "Do you ever look up and do you smile ?" That stopped me in my tracks. I told by ervI always looked both ways when I was home. She said, " you should always look both ways."
I was frowning and tired. Back across the street and was asked," would you like to come in and share your Grandna's cookies with Ike? I said," yes of course, thank you." I didn't tell her I didn't know any Ike , when she said, don't you worry, milk is waiting for the cookies ! I followed her indside. It was quiet other then the old electric fan. Mamie said, " put the tray down on the table please and follow me. We walked to the side porch and there were two men , a very large man standing in the corner and an older one scanning one of many newspapers on top of a small ratan coffee table. I stood there and Mamie walked in with the tray of cookies and put it down on top of the bewspaper being read. The man looked up and started to say something when she raised her hand and said, "Ike, this is Johnny from across the street and these are cookies his Grandmother made for us. Talk with him while I go get the pitcher of milk and glasses. Talking to the big man she said, " your cookies and milk are out herenpon the table, I think Ike is safe." She ushered him out and looked at Ike and myself and said," introduce yourselves." I do believe she wore the pants, lol 😂.
Ike just looked at her, then back at me and said," How are you young man they call me Ike ?" I had no clue the parade earlier was of or for him nor who he was and said, "Hello Mr Ike, my name is John but everyone up here calls me Johnny." Small talk followed, like," I was a Weblo Cub Scout in New Jersey and he had a uniform , too." "My Dad and I came up for me to have teeth pulled because my Grandfather liked pulling my teeth" and I grinned. He laughed and said that looks like it hurts and I am going fishing with them tomorrow. " Mamie came in handed the tray to Ike, put a towel on the newspapers and set the gasses and pitcher of milk down, took the tray and told Ike to,' pour the milk." He just looked at her, then poured and she said, " now eat your cookies yountwo." Turned and left.
Three years later, Dad made us gather around the new Philco box TV because the President was going to talk to us aka his speech about big business, big government, et cetera. I turned my back and stood in protest, Mom told Dad to shuch and I heard a very familiar, kind of gruff voice. Turning around my mouth fell open as Ike , the cookies and milk man was talking to many more then me. I was stunned, that was my 1st encounter with politics. And I wish today's political world would get a grip and try to be like Ike.
All the above is true !! I really miss them, they were real people.
Please comment, I only come here once in awhile this is my first attempt at writing, I have been told to write a book for years.
Thank you, John aka Doc after my Grandfather
No comments:
Post a Comment