Monday, April 24, 2017

Phills get swept, while Halos split for this week's "Daly Double"

The schedule makers do me a favor 2 weeks in a row with lining up both my teams to face both of Jim's teams.  Unfortunately my team did me no favors with the 77 Phillies laying an egg, getting swept by Jim's 62 Dodgers.  The first game of the series featured a slugfest despite a Drysdale/Koufax matchup.  The 13-10 final score had Jim and I questioning the latest update.  But as the series played out it became apparent the latest release was not the issue, it was the Phillies pitching and the hot Dodger bats.

After being swept 4 straight with my "strong" Phillies team, I was expecting a complete 8 game blanking after 4 games with my struggling 77 Angels.  But my Halos came out strong with wins in the first 2 against Jim's 56 Indians before Cleveland took both ends of a doubleheader to earn the series split.  We were looking even better with Nolan Ryan limiting the Indians to 1 hit over the 1st 5 innings in the early game of the series closing twin bill.  The Angels clung to a 1-0 lead until the bottom of the 6th when the Indians tied it up.  But it wasn't until the bottom of the 8th when the Angels luck would run out.  Ryan tried to work his way through some wildness in the 8th but a Preston Ward pinch hit 2 run HR gave the Indians a lead they would not lose.  Despite 13 Ks over 7 2/3 innings, Ryan took the loss to drop to 0-6 on the season.  The crazy thing for Ryan was when he was finally pulled after his 165th pitch was ball 4 to Chico Carrasquel he was still 3 pitches under his 168 adjusted EPC and was still feeling "strong".  

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment