Friday, February 17, 2017

1953 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers..."The Missing Cards"

I looked at the 1953 'Bums and wondered why Topps never issued a complete set of cards for one of the all time great franchises at the peak of a magical 10 year run (1947-1956).  Then I remembered that about 1/3 of the team wouldn't sign with Topps and instead signed with Bowman.  This was back in the early days of card collecting, where both companies were at war with each other.  Some guys signed with both companies and others held out for an exclusive.  When I looked through the Dodger set I realized the following stars were exclusive to Bowman and needed a Topps Card:  Billy Cox, Carl Erskine, Carl Furillo, Duke Snider, Gil Hodges, Jackie Robinson, Preacher Roe and Ralph Branca.  That's some list of "missing" players from a card set.  Here are my renditions (13 total):














No comments:

Post a Comment